Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Loving to remain Holy.

“He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.”—1 John 2:9-10 NKJV

We’ve all read this passage before and if you’re like me they are passages I skim through and maybe don’t meditate on or use to evaluate my place in the Kingdom.  Certainly when I started into the Kingdom lifestyle I didn’t dive into this passage and didn’t make my way towards this kind of meditation.  The writer is talking about me (a believer) or someone who claims to be a “believer or in the light.”  Then he adds a “but” statement….if you claim to love God but don’t do this then it means that.  Here is some tough truth!! Some pruning from God---is needed for growth.  If you’re like me and want to excuse myself out of this verse you say, “But I don’t hate this person….I just dislike them” or  “I just don’t like being around them.” Or “I just rather not associate myself with them.”  If we allow the Holy Spirit to speak we can’t deny the fact this verse most certainly applies to us no matter how much we try to excuse ourselves.  It all comes down to this---If I don’t love my brother or sister no matter who they are---I am in darkness. If I don’t love my brother or sister in Christ I will STUMBLE!! Imagine that??? Not loving a fellow brethren can make me fall into fornication?? Can make me fall into immorality? Can make me fall into any horrible sin?? YEA!! What?? Why? How? Read the verse above---“…there is no cause of stumbling in him.”  Meaning if I do NOT love my brothers and sisters there WILL BE “cause for stumbling.”  

 The NIV says, “Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble.”  This clears it up a little more…the stumbling opportunities are inside of me not the other person!!  Why is this?? Because if I live in the light I can see my own faults and sinful lusts etc.  If I am in darkness like when I hate my brethren I can’t see sin inside of me.  So I fall into it.  Sounds very simple but it’s very complicated!! Why complicated?? Because there are so many issues and divisions that arise within the church.  There are different personalities and reactions---different ideas and perceptions. And we just love to hate!! That’s it right there---we love to hate those who don’t agree with us, we love to hate those who are different, we love to hate those who don’t live like us---I speak from experience. Truth be told God is still molding me in this area, but I am coming out victorious. Today I heard Pastor Bill Johnson talk about how when God prunes us it’s an opportunity to grow. And how it’s not punishment but rather a growth opportunity. I am most definitely being pruned in my love towards the brethren.  Now we know we are to love others even those who don’t know the Lord but this is focusing on my brothers and sisters (the church).  There are many out there who love to hate the church and they are believers.  I agree there are past hurts and bitterness’ but when it comes down to it---those who hate will stumble!! Loving and forgiving my brethren is more for me than them---so I won’t stumble so I can grow so I can be perfected in love. 

 What happens is if I don’t love the church (God’s people)? I won’t grow. I won’t see His glory! Because He manifests himself in the body (the church).  He will work in the body as a whole!  He is coming back for 1 bride (body). So if I can’t come to peace and love with them…it will be hard to be “caught up” with them.  
I will be talking about this and sharing my experience in this area this Thurs. 

Adelante---see you all at 7 on Thurs!

Bea Z.
Generation Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment