Thursday, December 1, 2011

How Can I Get Him To Answer Me?

Now when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceedingly glad; for he had desired for a long time to see Him, because he had heard many things about Him, and he hoped to see some miracle done by Him. Then he questioned Him with many words, but He answered him nothing.” Luke 23:8-9 NKJV
Herod was delighted at the opportunity to see Jesus, because he had heard about him and had been hoping for a long time to see him perform a miracle. 9 He asked Jesus question after question, but Jesus refused to answer. NLT

Man how much more clearer could the lesson be for me? For us??  How many of us are expecting a miracle or miracles from God? Ones we’ve never seen Him do in our life.  Ones we’ve only heard about Him doing for others? We’re right at the place Herod was…but we don’t have to remain there.  Herod didn’t know how to get Jesus to “open up.” He thought that by questioning Him or just having conversation with Him Jesus would do something or say something.  His intentions weren’t bad because He wanted to truly see a miracle. He just went at it in the wrong manner.  Simply praying isn’t enough anymore—simply having a conversation with Jesus about what we need and want isn’t cutting it right?? Hmm…sound like Herod??  Herod questioned Him with “many words.” Sometimes in our mundane prayer life we just use “many words.” That doesn’t do anything.  We sometimes question God.  That doesn’t do anything---how about instead of doing the same thing over and over we tap into something new and different? What’s worked for others? What are they doing that I’m not doing?? I have been experiencing answers to prayers and open doors in  my prayer life.  I know what and how I’m asking and I know what is working.  Its not that God loves me more or that God doesn’t want to help others. It’s all about approaching Him in a different style than Herod.  Herod’s style was very light---it was a simple approach. I want to see a miracle because I heard about how great you are---but I am not going to invest myself into getting to your heart first. I just want to come and with my words and conversations get a miracle.  Jesus actually gives key insights in the Gospels on how to ask and how to tap into miracles.  There are prayers in the Old Testament that also unlock these miracles in our life.  But if we are like Herod rushed for time and wanting to see miracles we won’t find these hidden gems.  If we are like Herod as well and only engage Jesus in conversation about my miracles and with the purposes of seeing my miracles happen that won’t hurry Jesus any sooner.  “…Jesus refused to answer.” Wow…nothing is more hard to swallow than that line right there. It’s not that Jesus didn’t have the power, ability, opportunity, or heart to do a miracle He simply “refused to answer.”  Why?? Could be a variety of reasons: Herod’s heart wasn’t in the right place, his intentions weren’t right, he was being selfish in his request, he wasn’t approaching Jesus’  heart but rather His power, he didn’t know Jesus so he didn’t know how to ask, his life wasn’t going to be edified or built up by Jesus doing one miracle there, maybe the miracle would have boosted his ego---I don’t know why---but all I know is Jesus refused to answer!!

Do we know how to get Jesus to “open up?”  Do we know how to get answers/miracles from the Father? I know these things aren’t earned because of how good we are---but there are methods in the Bible to unlock blessings.  These methods are sometimes very obvious or sometimes very hidden.  A person diving deep into the Word and prayer will be a person who unlocks such mysteries.  Its also a matter of humbling ourselves…what do I mean by this?  If I see somebody is experiencing and living in answers to prayer I am going to ask them what and how they are praying?? What are they doing?? But this requires humility. Its beyond me some of you NEVER ask about achieving certain breakthroughs in prayer or our spirit life. Why? I don’t know. But I don’t want to be like Herod.  Spending my time in conversations with God that don’t produce any results. God is a God of love and He understands us…but He also puts people in our path to guide us. How I take advantage of that is up to me…but its not like God isn’t trying to teach us. Its just we think we are too spiritual to ask---or we know what we’re doing.  Herod thought he knew was he was doing---he was after all Herod!  Jesus had all the power to do one miracle but He wanted more than just a conversation from Herod.  Jesus wants more than what we sometimes give Him.  He knows our heart’s intentions and motivations. He knows why sometimes we pray harder than other times, He knows how much time we can invest in Him but choose to focus on busywork.  So knowing all that He can choose to not answer.  He can choose whatever He wants—after all He’s after our heart not our prayers!!

 Why would I waste my time with something that isn’t bringing results???? God doesn’t want to waste my time…I’m not saying prayer is a waste of time.  Not at all. I’m saying just because we approach God with the intention of talking to Him doesn’t mean that in itself will release miracles.  Herod was glad to see Jesus. We can say we like praying---its more than “praying.” It’s a lifestyle of fervent and passionate prayer/worship.  Today I read a quote from Greg Laurie that says, “If we put so little heart into our prayers, we can’t expect God to put much heart into answering them.” This quote confirmed what God had spoken to my heart last night---you don’t have to change anything about what you’re doing or approaching God.  But take a look at your results.

Dec 29 I will be sharing my 2nd part of the Breakthrough message God gave me 2 weeks ago that I shared at GG. God is good; Jesus is good too---they both want to do miracles but they want something more---its up to you to figure out what…once you figure it out—DO IT!

Adelante!!
Bea Z

Generation Glory
Iglesia Cristiana Adonai
Youth/Young Adults/ Singles Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment