Monday, December 5, 2011

My Nothings vs His Somethings--



“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”-Jn 15:5

Paty shared a message about this yesterday and I kept chewing on it throughout the day.  One of the things she said really rang deep inside my heart—she said when we first get saved we are immediately connected to the vine.  We don’t have to remain there---we aren’t forced to stay there but if we want to bear fruit and survive we must continue to be connected etc.  Although this may sound simple its actually very deep and profound.  Why? Because sometimes we assume we’re connected but the fruit we bear is fruit of our own strength and wisdom.  Not bad---we are smart, strong, and intelligent individuals.  But what happens is although we’re bearing fruit like Paty shared yesterday its not fruit pleasing the king!! Especially because He is pleased by His own fruit production.  As seasoned Christians how do we know if we’re producing Spirit fruit or man-made fruit?? You all have heard of Castaic Lake—that’s a manmade lake.  But its still nice and good for boating and swimming. I love going going boating on lakes---especially Castaic. Its close and it has these coves where the boat can go into and almost feel like there’s no one else on that lake.  I have swam and done or attempted to do some water sports on that lake and its real water.  I have had wonderful days spent on the lake and I wouldn’t care if its manmade or a natural lake.  I have driven by Lake Isabella heading towards Bakersfield.  It’s a huge manmade lake---how can you tell? You can see trees come up to the surface meaning there was life there---I believe Lake Shasta is also man-made I am not sure---but all these bodies of water are still good for fun activities.  Meaning just because its man-made doesn’t take away from its use and beauty!! But God isn’t looking for man-made ministry or fruit!! He wants spirit produced!! He tells  us look you can’t do ANYTHING apart from a daily life of devotion and worship!! Whatever you do on your own is basically NOTHING.  Because He says, “apart from me you can do NOTHING.”  So what I can do apart from Him is nothing!! Leads to NOTHING. .Results in NOTHING. And Will have a value of NOTHING in eternity! This doesn’t mean the “nothings” aren’t beautiful, fun, and entertaining…but I want fruit that lasts!! Its easy to assume we are doing things for God under the direction of God but if there is no Spirit fruit in the mix then let me look at my ingredients again.  A lot of times we function on robotic mode.  God doesn’t want spirit robots---He wants a pure intimate lifestyle.  The fruit is evident in my worship, words, life, actions, decisions, offerings, love, humility, willingness, obedience---man the list goes on. My own strength doesn’t like to submit, pray for long periods of time, fasting etc.  Just because I show up to a prayer meeting doesn’t mean I’m connected---its what is inside.  Am I passionate and awake to prayer in my lifestyle? Am I putting and saying no other things so I can devote myself to prayer?? Jesus was so deliberate about praying He would many times leave the group to retreat with the Father. He would leave ministry to focus on the Father and their time together. It showed in how He spoke:  Jesus said “apart from me you can do nothing.”  The Father said in Is 43 “I am the Lord apart from me there is no savior.”  See the similarity?? The evidence of time spent with the Father was Jesus’ imitation of His father in words, life, and devotion!!  May our words and worship be something that comes out of a result of our devotion. 

Apart from Jesus my nothing is nothing! I don’t want to live in nothings---I want somethings!! Its 4 weeks away from the new year.  I am waiting on God for some 11th hour breakthroughs.  I realize these will be Jesus somethings not my nothings!! Yesterday I told Jesus---if I have been getting a little disconnected because I’ve been so busy I’m totally plugging myself in and tightening the connection!! I realize I need to be superglue connected to see somethings in my life!

God bless!!

-Bea
Youth/ Young Adults/Singles Pastor
Generation Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment